Best Futures Trading Platform

• What is your favorite feature on your trading platform?

The API that allows me to pull data into my own analysis software.

• What data feed do you use to execute your trades and why?

I use CTS data. I’ve found it to be reliable and convenient.

• How do you execute your trades (DOM/Charts, etc) and how do you manage the trades afterward? (Stop-loss and profit target).

I try to build my system is a way that can incorporate a variety of types of information, whether it’s order book info, technical indicators, anomalous behavior between related contracts/assets, or fundamental data releases. It’s important to figure out how the different sources of information interact and which contain unique information.

I generally don’t think stop losses or profit targets make sense. At an abstract level, there should be a congruence between the information I have about an asset and the expression of this view which is my position. The relationship between my view on an asset and its price should be mostly continuous. By applying a stop loss, it implies that I’ve my information changed considerably as soon as the price hit a certain level. But in reality each tick the price moved towards my stop loss gave me more information that I was more likely to want to exit.

Conversely, each tick the price moves towards the profit target decreases the expected value while the risk stays the same. As the risk/reward gets worse, I shrink my position. All of these continuous adjustments can be balanced against new information from shifting signals and trading frictions.

The stop loss/profit target paradigm imposes a division between the optimistic bet taking side and the conservative risk manager side, but I think their views can be merged more efficiently.

2 Likes
  1. Trading Strategies backtesting capabilities

2. Tradestation, because of its price/quality ratio.

3. Execution with both DOMs and Charts. Size is determined according to stop-loss and money management rules; trade management is done according to a combination of stop-loss, profit target (two targets, with 50% or 75% exit at first target and trailing profit or stop profit thereafter) and time stop (both market hours and/or lenght of the trade).

2 Likes

What is your favorite feature on your trading platform?

A large developer community that create excellent indicators on charts.

What data feed do you use to execute your trades and why?

AMP global - cheap and reliable.

How do you execute your trades (DOM/Charts, etc) and how do you manage the trades afterward? (Stop-loss and profit

Charts with trailing stop position and one predefined profit Target and the others let run till end of session

2 Likes

I am signed up for Sierra Chart. I have studied and tested a number of platforms over the past six months and I have selected Sierra Charts as the best platform for me. I really like the integrated spreadsheet that allows me to quickly test trade theories and algos without all the hassle of compiling programs. Once the logic is worked out and the theory is proven it is pretty easy to code it from there. The platform is very stable and the support team will actually fix things very quickly when asked. It makes a big difference when you communicate directly with the people who wrote the program. The overall flexibility to lay out your charts and display.

I have not finalized my data feed but the top consideration will be execution. I will look at a feed that plays nice with Sierra Charts (who will provide historical data). I am also looking at having the ability to go flat in the event of power failures on my end. I do know that I will receive good advice from Optimus support as to which service will meet my needs.

I use charts to identify entry and exit points but will use the DOM to enter trades and OCO target and stop loss. I look to identify swing trade opportunities in several different markets. Down here in the Carolinas we do a form of swing dancing that is called shagging. I plan on shagging a few points here and there and every opportunity I can find.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

My preferred platform is Multicharts although I would be open to using a platform that is not Microsoft dependent going down the road - I find that Microsoft is becoming more and more intrusive and I would like to be able to use Linux - however that is for another discussion.

One of the features that I enjoy the most with MC is the icon based method of placing an order combined with exit strategies. However when these are entered on a trade I will always adjust the stops and targets based on levels of support and resistance. Using the drawing tool I will add these levels as horizontal lines and judge the number of contracts that I enter based on where my initial stop will be, in order to keep my maximum loss within my max risk per trade. Then depending on the number of contracts, I will look at the first target at just above the next support for a short trade or just below the next resistance for a long. Normally that will be 8 - 12 ticks from the entry otherwise it will not be worth trading. After this first target is filled I will aim to minimize the risk on the trade by adjusting my stop to as close to break even as possible, and then use support and resistance levels as targets.

Regarding indicators there are only a few that I seriously consider - there are two oscillators that I have imported into MC and rewritten in order to provide a more specific visual - I have found that CCI crossing the zero line with input parameter of 14 is a pretty fair indication of direction when combined with another of my favorites - ZScore(20) when it crosses its zero line - ignore these two crossing the zero line at the same time at your peril ! ZScore is readily available on the internet so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding it. The only other that I pay any attention to is the good ole 34 ema that I have modified to reflect different colors depending of the direction.

That’s it - I keep the chart as clear as possible - the most important thing is to see the price action and anything that distracts from that needs to go. If anyone needs any clarification I’d be happen to provide some more details. Now for some more coffee - its still early on the west coast. Safe trading everyone.

2 Likes

I use both OEC Trader and iBroker. My favorite feature from both of these platforms is that they are fully integrated. I usually travel a lot for business, so being able to place a trade at my home desktop and then monitor that my position from phone is extremely beneficial.

I use the OEC data feed through Gain Capital.

I mostly trade through the DOM utilizing tick movement with stop loss/profit targets.

1 Like

I primarily use MultiCharts, but I will use my CQG credentials on CQG Desktop if I need to place a trade or monitor a position on my mobile device.

I use the CQG data feed.

I prefer the DOM for my day to day trading, but I will utilize charts every once in a while if I feel my method needs some in-depth technical analysis that can’t be seen from the DOM.

1 Like

I am using Trade Navigator and my favorite feature of the platform is the built-in tech support. I have encountered multiple situations now where I had an issue with the platform or did not know how to do something. All I needed to do was head over the help portion of the platform, click on Live chat with customer support and within minutes I had someone helping me with my platform. They were even able to remotely control my desktop right through the platform!

I am subscribed to CQG data.

I prefer trading through the chart. :chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like
  1. The platform that I use is R|Trader
  2. Rithmic data feed
  3. I only use the DOM because there are no charts on the regular version of R | Trader, only R | Trader pro supports charting. I use OCO orders mainly.
1 Like

Hey guys,

I am using Sierra Chart platform.

1. Well, not sure about any particular favorite feature, but what I really like is the robust customization I can do with Sierra. Also, there are many great features/studies/indicators/settings etc. already included in Sierra, for what you usually have to pay extra fees in other platforms. So money wise, hard to beat that IMHO… :slight_smile:
    Oh… and Sierra is really lightweight software, which I like very much mainly because I can run it on my Mac effortlessly without any problems at all…

2. Rithmic. I really don’t have specific reason for using Rithmic. One think I like with rithmic is that my orders are sitting also on Rithmic servers, not only on my platform… Also I can use R-Trader as a backup in case there are any difficulties with my platform…

3. I am executing my trades through the DOM usually with attached predefined OCO brackets (mainly to set hard stop in case I loose my internet connection). Then I manage the trades by reading the Order Flow.

1 Like
  1. We are using CQG Integrated client
  2. We are using CQG Data feed for real time and CQG Data Historical
  3. We execute trades with an self-made application that send order using CQG API and every time we open a position we send stop-loss order and profit order. After that our application change level of stop-order using our money management logic.
1 Like

Hello,

• I am a user of the TradingView platform. I like the simplicity of the platform and the fact that it is cloud-based.
  • I use CQG data.
  • I like trading in the chart. TradingView comes with a lot of technical analysis drawing tools that helps me out with this. I use a stop-loss style of order management.

Thank you and goodluck to all the other members out there,
Nani

• I use CQG Desktop. I love how simple and easy it is to drag widgets, essentially allowing me create my own platform.

• I use the CQG data feed.

• I only trade through the DOM and use mostly bracket orders with stop-loss.

@Mod-MattZ

1. I trade through the R|Trader Pro platform.
  2. Rithmic data feed because it is the native data feed of the R|Trader Pro platform.
  3. I execute my chards through charting.
2 Likes
  1. The platform I am currently on is OEC Trader. My favorite feature is the allocation block manager. This works out great for me since I am trading on multiple accounts.

2. I also use the OEC data feed.

3. I don’t really have a preference when it comes to execution, I use both methods

• I recently started using CQG Desktop and I love it. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to many of the other platforms out there because I trade on a Mac. CQG Desktop allows me to not only trade from Safari, but also on my phone if I need.

• I use CQG data, although I’m not sure if I can even use another data feed with CQG Desktop. So far I’ve had zero problems with the CQG desktop. I receive great latency and my trades execute instantly. I’m really impressed.

• I like trading through DOM, especially when on my phone. Sometimes I’ll pull up a chart in a seperate window or edit my workspace to use both the DOM for execution and charts for analysis while i’m at home on my Mac.

1 Like

The platform I use is Primexbt.

The overall features that I like on the platform aside from having the option for leveraging is the sweet UI as I am a designer my self when I look for a trading platform, after I see the security of the platform and the stability, I loke at the UI. Maybe this is a personal experience but we should not underestimate UI design.

Here are my choices that have been working well:
TradeStation - charting, market analysis
Gain OEC - Execution - Super fast and reliable, simple,can use shortkeys for trading which is crucial for me.
Bookmap - for in depth book analysis

All 3 are setup on 3 screens work seamlessly together.
I would say your setup would depend on how often you trade, what size and yes your personality. I am terrible with numbers, like visual representation of data.

3 Likes

Definitely agreeing with Frostjay on this. I am liking Gain OEC quite enough now. Didn’t know that you can these 3 all together on financepolice.com. Would definitely try this. Thanks.

Like Frostjay, I use also TradeStation for charts but also for execution, and of course using the Bookmap heat map for depth of the market.