Buy Limit and Sell Limit and max order qty in Rithmic

What does Buy Limit and Sell Limit and max order qty mean in rihtmic?

what values should these be if I say wanted to limit to max 10 contracts at a time being open?

Hello @ycomp,

Thanks for your question!

Would you mind letting me know where throughout R Trader you find this terminology?

Typically, buy/sell limits are configured by us (depending on the clearing firm) on the backend of your account for risk management purposes.

If you wanted to limit yourself to 10 max contracts at one time, you can set these values to a buy limit and sell limit of 10.

Feel free to post a screenshot of where you found this on R Trader so we can accurately answer this.

Thanks,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support

yes, sorry I meant on the backend not in R Trader itself

1 Like

@ycomp

Thanks for letting us know!

In that case, it is exactly how I described above. Certain clearing firms we work with (ADMIS and Wedbush for example) implement this policy for all clients.

Other clearing firms operate on a margin basis (if your account balance meets the margin requirements you can enter a position).

If this is something you are interested in implementing on your account, please let us know and we can configure it on the backend!

Thanks,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support :optimus_logo_no_backroug:

Greetings! I am looking at how to limit the amount of contracts I can trade, aside from the Prop Firm’s limits. For example, they allow up to 10 mini’s and 100 micros. Thus, I would like to limit my max contract size to be 3 mini’s and 30 micros.

Is there a way I can do that? Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hello @joewyro316 we cannot comment on funding for these demo funding accounts, which are unrelated to us. In live trading, traders have a few options to reduce risk exposure in futures positions.

1. They can increase their margins with their broker. By increasing margins, trader will be allowed to place less contracts.
  2. Traders can also directly request their broker to reduce the size or number of open futures positions they could place.

It is aways recommended to trade within your risk tolerance, and in our opinion, disciplined traders should request such adjustments if they trade outside their risk tolerance.

These exposure adjustments are handled through the brokerage firm, not through the trading platform itself. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Thanks for the response. But I don’t see how what you wrote was related to my question so I will ask it again in a different way with a simple yes or no option to help make more clearer.

“Does the Rithmic program allow the individual trader to limit their max amount of buy and sell contracts?”

Yes or No

Thank you again!

We are brokers, and you asked your question a licensed broker. So again, You inquired about limiting the number of contracts you can trade. From a broker’ s perspective, only brokers can adjust limits for customers.

If you’re referring to a trader’s ability in a prop school to adjust trade size, we don’t have that specific detail. However, R|Trader software does support this feature. It does not mean that you were enabled the permission to do that. So, YES.
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

I am sorry, I thought this was the chat board for Rithmic.

1 Like

No need to apologize. If you have more questions about Rithmic software, please open new threads.
We support many Rithmic users.

Best,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures