Is it possible to trade with Rithmic on a Mac?

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Rithmic, but I only have a Mac and I see that most platforms are PC only.

I’d prefer not to have to buy another PC, so is there any way I can trade from my Macbook Pro?

Currently you cant run Rithmic over MAC, but I can offer these 2 solutions:

1. Run a program called Parallels that allows you to run windows on MAC. You can then install you platform along with Rithmic om Parallels
  2. Use a hosting solution (recommended) where you can login to your machine in Chicago. This will also help you reduce latency in your trading.

I hope this helps.

Matt

So if I just joined OneUp and paid $300 for a $100k evaluation account then am I shit out of luck ? I only have a MacBook Pro … getting Parallels and doing all that sounds like a lot of work… looks like I need to have access to Rithmic just to agree to 2 documents and then I need to download Ninja Trader… is Ninja Trader also only PC compatible ?

Hi @Lalloos_Ax. Thanks for your question and welcome to the community forum!

Not necessarily.

If you’ve been provided with a paper trading account by Oneup, then you can technically sign those agreements here: Rithmic Agreements

In terms of platforms, if you don’t want to download a parallel, we do have a web-based platform that utilizes Rithmic on a web browser and works as a good solution for our Mac users on Rithmic. Take a look here: https://trade.optimusfutures.com/

As far as I know, you likely may not be able to use an account provided by Oneup here. You can give it a shot after you sign up for the demo, but this product is primarily a free product and added benefit for our clients with funded trading accounts.

I do not believe Ninja Trader is compatible with Mac.

Thanks for your questions! Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.
Jake
Optimus Futures :optimus_logo_no_backroug:

Hi @Mod-JakeM … that first website to sign those agreements does not work… it says “OMNI server connect failed. Please contact Rithmic Operations.” … as long as I can trade from my MAC I’ll be okay… I just cannot afford to spend money on a new PC laptop.

@Lalloos_Ax

Thanks for letting me know. The accounts OneUp provides is likely tied to a different trading server. The link I provided only works with Rithmic demo and paper trading accounts, which is why it did not work.

If you would like to stick with your MAC, I encourage you to try one of Matt’s solutions that he mentioned in his original reply or try our web trading platform: https://trade.optimusfutures.com/

Thanks for your time and I hope you find what you’re looking for!
Jake
Optimus Futures

I just purchased a MacBook Pro and it didn’t even occur to me to see if I could trade on Rithmic Trader using a Mac! What does “Use a hosting solution (recommended) where you can login to your machine in Chicago” even mean?
Thanks!

Hi @sal,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Optimus community forum!

In regards to a hosting solution, you can consider something like a VPS (Virtual private server) in order to access Windows OS on your MAC. A VPS is essentially a “virtual computer” installed onto a server that allows users to access it from the cloud regardless of their operating system type.

You can also consider using parallels on your Mac, like Bootcamp: Boot Camp Assistant User Guide for Mac - Apple Support, in order to accomplish this and run windows from a Mac computer.

At this time, R Trader only works on Windows machines.

I hope this helps!
Thanks,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support

Thanks Jake! This does help! I was about to pay $100 for a Parallels one year subscription, but with the link you provided me, I found out that I could install Windows for free! Since Bootcamp is an Apple product, I would guess this works better than Parallels.
I have completed the installation of Windows 10 using Bootcamp that was in my Utilities folder. Rithmic Trader Pro is now working seamlessly on my Macbook Pro.

A few tips for anyone who isn’t super computer savvy (like me) that the Apple Support link didn’t address:

1. You must download the windows iso first.
  2. When you partition your hard drive for Windows and Mac, the partition just slides back and forth to change the number of GB on each side (I didn’t realize this right away).
  3. After the install and during the Windows setup, when you are asked for a Microsoft key code, just click on “I don’t have one” and it still works without a cost. I chose the Windows Home instead of Pro because I didn’t know if Pro could also be used for free, and I didn’t want to take the chance.
  4. The trackpad is even worse on Windows, so get yourself an external mouse.
    I accomplished this install myself, and it is working perfectly. Now I would say that you can definitely trade on Rithmic Pro with a Macbook Pro*!
    *must have an Intel processor for Bootcamp
1 Like