Is there documentation for the "Risk parameters set by the Trader" screen in R|Trader?

I’m looking to set my own risk parameters (more conservative than those set by admin) but don’t know how to choose/set the auto liquidate settings.

Any documentation for this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello @trader.murthy and welcome to Optimus Community. Could you please tell us specifically, what risk parameters you want to control that your current situation does not allow. We would be glad to assist and inquire with Rithmic what they allow the end user to control as opposed to FCM.

Thank you,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

1 Like

Hi Matt,

The “Risk Parameters set by the Trader” tab in R|Trader allows the end user to set auto liquidate thresholds that are separate from those set by the admin. But these are not documented anywhere that I can see, so I don’t know what the settings mean.

All the following are end-user settings, but not clear how to use them:

• “Auto Liquidate Threshold”

• Auto Liquidate Max Min Account Balance

Other settings are somewhat more self-explanatatory, e.g. “Auto Liquidate at HH:mm:ss”

What I really need is a way to set a personal loss limit as a percentage of loss limit set by admin. So e.g. if the loss limit set by the admin is $1,000, the end user might want to auto liquidate at 50% of it (or $500).

Thanks!

2 Likes

Unfortunately we rushed this feature through a little more quickly than usual without paying enough attention to the design of the user interface used to set its parameters. We also underestimated the popularity of this feature with traders.

The Auto Liquidate Threshold refers to the value to be used when checking if an auto-liquidate event has occurred. For example, if the Auto-liquidate criteria is Minimum Account Balance and the threshold is 1000, then when the account’s balance drops below 1000 the account will be auto-liquidated by our system.

Auto Liquidate Max Min Account Balance is used when the auto-liquidate threshold is configured to trail. If a value for Auto Liquidate Max Min Account Balance is present and the auto-liquidate criteria is Limited Trailing Minimum Account Balance then the value used by our system will stop trailing once it has reached the Auto Liquidate Threshold.

3 Likes

Thank you for the follow up and the detailed response. You’re right - the options are very useful AND complicated! I’m not sure I even understand the last paragraph correctly, but thankfully I don’t need that right now…

For my simple example above, I think I have the answer: set “Auto Liquidate Crteria” to “Loss Limit” and the Threshold to the $$$ value of the personal loss limit you want to use. Not as convenient as having a percentage of the threshold set by the admin (as I was hoping), but will do the job.

Thanks,
Murthy

2 Likes

Can you please give some examples on how to set Trailing Minimum Account Balance and Limited Trailing Minimum Account Balance. I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thank you.

I’ve searched around, but did not find any more details on these settings. Some additional information would be helpful in using these features:

To clarify the usage:
Auto Liquidate Criteria: Limited Trailing Minimum Account Balance
Auto Liquidate Threshold: 1000
Auto Liquidate Max Min Account Balance: 25000

The auto liquidate will trail the liquidate threshold high water mark up, staying 1000 below equity until the high water mark reaches 25000.

1. What is not clear is where is the high water mark visible, or current calculated trader-risk auto liquidate threshold visible? There is an “Auto Liquidate Peak Balance” and “Auto Liquidate Threshold Value” columns in the Trader Dashboard, but they only appear to reflect the FCM value, which may have hit a max, not the user’s custom value. A way to see the user value would help understand the threshold/correct operation of it.

2. Also can this high-water mark ever get reset? e.g. when disabling/re-enabling Auto Liquidate or at start of new session or anything or is it always the highest ever equity - threshold?

3. How does the Auto Liquidate Criteria set to “Loss Limit” work and required values?

1 Like

Hi @bjd,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for your patience while waiting for a response.

Typically for our clients looking to configure these types of risk parameters, we handle these on the backend at the FCM level rather than through the R Trader platform.

I believe the front end-user experience you’ve encountered and the levels that can be set are a bit limited through the platform itself and are primarily controlled by the risk management team at the FCM your live account is placed with.

If an auto-liquidation criteria or daily loss limit is hit, typically a client is flattened out of all working positions and orders and will remain disabled until the account is unlocked by the FCM.

I understand these may not be the exact answers to your questions, but this is typically how we handle these settings for our clients with live accounts looking to configure this type of risk management. I believe the R Trader Pro platform has changed how these settings worked a bit over the years, this thread is nearly 2 years now and there have been plenty of updates since then.

I hope you find this helpful.
Thanks,
Jake
Optimus Futures