It is possible to have a sub-account to avoid conflict between automated and discretionary trading on the same account?

I have a question. During the last period I started to practice on live trading but I also have some multicharts strategy live for real automated trading.

I use to trade mostly the FDXM (mini Dax) and sometimes I have conflict problems. Let me do an example. Let’s suppose I’m going long on minidax with discretionary manual trading… then after some minutes One of my automated strategy on multicharts has opened a Short trade …but instead of open a short trade it simply closed my long and then left an OCO order on the book as exit strategy but the systems is flat…so I have to manually remove that oco…and to remove that oco I have to temporary deactivate the automated strategy… so it’s frustrating.
I would like to know if is there a way to have a sort of sub-account on amp to dedicate only on for automatic trading that allow me to work at the same time with the discretionary trading. Of course this mean that for a small period of intraday time one of my strategy could have a short position and I , on manual trading, can have at the same time a long position.
Is that possible without open a second account?
And the second important question is …can both the main and the sub account use the same amount of money?

Thanks

David

1 Like

Thank you for your question @dvdarts welcome to the Optimus Community. The best way to track the different systems is through two accounts (account and sub-account). Each one runs the strategy you need, whether manual or systematic.

Please keep in mind that depending on your data feed, you may pay for each exchange the subscription fee. In your case, the Eurex exchange. Second, you would have to allocate between the two accounts because, to the best of our knowledge, AMP does not cross margin one account to another. Essentially, you would need to fund both accounts.

As we suggested earlier, you would need two accounts to tack your strategies, but you can run two systems and methods under one account. All the transactions, although not very intuitive, will add up to the same profit and loss (P&L). Let’s use a specific example with the Mini Dax (FDXM).

Let’s say you are Long the FDAX at 13000 with OCO running at 13010 for Profit and 12,990 for Stop-Loss.

Let’s assume you enter a manual short while long; you do not need to cancel the OCO. If the leg of the OCO triggers the Profit at 13010, then you are net/net short, and that is what you should be. If your Stop was triggered, you would remain short again. Either way, the offsetting trade is short.

In reality, you can trade many strategies on one account.
You can trade manually and side by side with automation, but it is not something practical if you a frequent day trader combined with a frequent automated method. The math and P&L will not change, but keeping track of orders and OCOs could be mentally painful.

I hope this helps you.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

The placement of contingent orders by you or broker, or trading advisor, such as a “stop-loss” or “stop-limit” order, will not necessarily limit your losses to the intended amounts, since market conditions may make it impossible to execute such orders.

1 Like