New Futures Trader Setup Questions

Hi,

I’ve been trading equities and options for 5 years and would like to get into futures trading. I have been paper-trading MES on TradingView for about a year and have developed a trading edge and strategy for myself. I would like to open a live account but I have not ever opened a futures trading account before and have some questions.

1. What is the relationship between the Broker and the FCM and why do I need an account on both? In equity trading, I just have a broker and do all my trading through there. Can you please explain the difference here?

2. I would like to start trading MES only with an initial account size of $5,000 USD. My trading style will be to trade 2-3 times a week, with a profit target of $500 per trade. My strategy involves risking 10 points for a return of 20-30 points, so I would be trading only a handful of contracts at a time. What would be the best FCM for my needs?

3. For my platform, I would like to use TradingView to do all my charting as well as all my trading execution. I already have a subscription with TV for live CME data. How well does the integration with TV work? Is there any issues with disconnects or stop orders not going through?

4. Will my broker be able to provide a net summary of P&L for the year, along with every trade, or will I need to do any book keeping myself?

5. I am trading from Canada (Ontario), is there any special considerations for this?

I hope I can get some clarification on the above.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Sapphire44, thank you for considering Optimus Futures as your futures trading partner. We are an Independent Introducing Broker (IIB), which means we are fully licensed to provide a range of services to our clients, including support, fund requests, and any other assistance you may need.
Our team is knowledgeable and experienced, and we are here to help you every step of the way.
However, our FCMs hold the customer funds. This is per regulations.

When choosing a Futures Commission Merchant (FCM), it’s essential to consider factors such as the account minimum, margins, and other terms and conditions. The trading method is less relevant, in our opinion.

At Optimus Futures, we have partnered with a reputable FCM to provide our clients with a reliable and efficient service. All of our FCMs use the CQG connection, so you can be confident that you will have access to the same high-quality infrastructure regardless of which FCM you choose. If you wish to open an account, please use this link: Open a Futures Trading Account | Optimus Futures

As a resident of Ontario, you are welcome to open an account with us. We have no restrictions on trading for Ontario residents. If you encounter any disconnects while trading, our 24/7 trade desk support is here to help you resolve any issues as quickly as possible. We will also provide you with a Profit and Loss (P&L) statement for each trade via our portal. At the end of the year, you will receive a 1099 report (also known as a T4A in Ontario) summarizing your trading activity(P&L).

We hope this information is helpful. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with additional questions.

Thank you for giving us a try to earn your trading business.

Best,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

https://www.optimusfutures.com/RiskDisclosure.php

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the details Matt. I will get started with the process to open my account shortly and let you know if I have any further questions.

Thanks!

1 Like

You are most welcome, and we appreciate you starting with us!
We will get you started quickly.
Feel free to continue asking questions about your platform “Tradingview” in the right section.
Every post and comment earns a :heart:

In the meantime, we hope this guide helps you: How to use TradingView.com – Optimus Futures guide on charting with TradingView

Best,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures