Oanda historical tick data missing

I created a live account token through Oanda and was able to access time-bound chart data but historical tick charts do not seem to work. The chart just seems to aggregate data starting from when I create it.

For example, if I create the chart at 18:00 and select 150 ticks it will initially show no data. Once a trade goes through Oanda’s system the chart will start populating but has no historical data even when I change the ‘Depth of history’ field.

Oanda1

Oanda2

1 Like

@MWG86

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing this to our attention.

We’ve reached out to our developers regarding this “issue” and apparently, it is just a limitation of Forex data through OANDA.

According to our developers, OANDA does not provide historical tick data at all and the seconds timeframe is minimal. That being said, they do not provide historical tick data, but our platform does receive bid/ask quotes. So after enough time, you will see tick data load something onto your chart!

Unfortunately, through OANDA, tick data on charts is somewhat limited. If you use the Rithmic data feed to trade futures, you should not encounter these issues. We’ll discuss with our developers on whether or not it is possible to hide tick data selections while using OANDA in order to make time interval/chart styles easier to use while trading Forex.

Thanks for your question and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need further clarification or if you encounter any other issues.

Thanks for your time,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support :optimus_logo_no_backroug:

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Jake, this has been a consistent frustration with Oanda for a number of years so I’m not surprised that the historical tick data is unavailable.

Are you able to clarify whether the ‘Volume’ histogram is built off of number of trades or dollars traded?

1 Like

@MWG86 Sorry for the delay in response!

To answer your question in regards to whether or not the volume histogram is built off of number of trades or dollars traded, our developers have responded with the following:

“We get the volume information from their API (OANDA), for us, it is just a value, but in general cases it is the number of ticks(changes of bid price).”

We may need to reach out to OANDA’s support as well to see what volume information their API is providing to provide further clarification for you! As of now, I would take the word of our developer and use the Volume Histogram as a measure of the number of ticks and changes of the bid price.

Thanks for the question,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support :optimus_logo_no_backroug:

2 Likes