Options on Futures Contracts

Matt and Jake,

I want to trade options on futures. Is that something Optimus can broker? If so, can you tell me if there are any margin requirements (I only want to buy calls and puts–I don’t want to sell/write anything) or must all trades be cash covered, how to open an account for options, and what platforms you recommend (I have a MacBook Pro).

Thanks.

Hello @jgvc.20.07.02 Thank you for your questions!
When you purchase Options, the only margin you need is the premium of the Option you buy.
When you purchase an Option outright (long strategy), you are only at the risk of losing the premium you pay for it plus transactions fees. That is your margin (premium paid).
This applies to both Call and Put strategies. You can exercise long only as you indicated, and it does not have to be part of a spread or a Futures covered contract.

Since you are trading on a MacBook, I recommend using a web-based application.
Try CQG desktop: CQG Desktop Free Demo | Futures Trading Platform | Optimus Futures

Also good for Micro Futures if you decide to go for smaller Future contracts.

Try the demo, see if it working for you.

Thank you,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures
There is a substantial risk of loss in futures and options trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.You may lose the entire premium when you purchase options.

2 Likes