"Reduce Only" Function Not Available in Live Trading

I am unable to find how to place reduce-only orders on live trading on Optimus Flow. When I am in “Simulator” mode, then “Reduce Only” shows up as a check-box in the order panel (photo below). However, when I am in “Live” mode, then this “Reduce Only” check-box no longer shows up in the order panel (also pictured below) - is there a solution to this?

1 Like

Hello @TraderBiku,

The reduce-only function is only supported on certain connections.

Based on your screenshot, it appears you are using the Optimus Futures connection which does not support the reduce-only function at this time.

Reduce-only is only available for Spot FX connections such as OANDA - this function is not supported for the futures trading data feeds we currently support.

Thanks for your understanding,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support

1 Like

Hi Jake,

We had an extensive conversation about this via support chat last week - and your suggestion to the issue with the “Flatten” button was to use “Reduce-Only”, but now you’re telling me this is not an option? I don’t understand what the solution would be then…

1 Like

Hi @TraderBiku.

Thank you for following up about this and waiting for a response over the holidays.

I think there may have been a slight misinterpretation in our conversation, I believe I mentioned it to you during our chat, but in my opinion, to use reduce only along with Flatten is redundant and should not be required.

The Reduce-only function is used on supported connections throughout the platform with the intention to reduce the size of a position, rather than increase. Flatten on the other hand is a convenience button that can be used to place liquidation orders at the current market price and also cancel all open working orders.

In our chat, you specifically asked about the reduce-only option in combination with flatten and I agreed that you could enable this out of precaution to ensure the flatten button would only reduce/close positions rather than open new ones. In hindsight, I should have asked you additional questions to gather more information about the situation to see whether or not your current connection supported it.

As you can see, when connected with a live futures account, this feature is objectively absent from the platform because it is simply not supported for futures trading on live accounts in the platform’s current iteration. Optimus Flow is a multi-asset platform, it supports both Futures and FX. FX users via the OANDA feature do have this feature available.

After internal discussions, we admittedly should not have this feature available on the simulator when connected to a futures trading account since it is not currently available for live accounts. We plan to talk to our developers to remove this function entirely from the simulator and market replay features to avoid confusion for our futures traders.

Thank you for your understanding and I apologize for any confusion our chat may have caused.
Jake
Optimus Futures Support

2 Likes

Fair enough, that makes sense. However, this leaves the issue of the “Flatten” button opening new positions even more unresolved, since there’s effectively no way to safe-guard against it malfunctioning as it did for me. Since there is no way to monitor a momentary disconnection from the server in real time, how is one to know whether the flatten button will work as intended? This remains my primary concern, and seems like a genuinely dangerous bug in the code of the platform. I hope it will be addressed with developers as well.

2 Likes