Switching from CFDs to Futures - Need Help with Symbols

Hi everyone,

I’m currently trading CFDs but considering switching to futures. To make this transition smoother, I would like to know which futures symbols directly correspond to their CFD counterparts.

For example, if I’m trading CFDs on a particular index, commodity, or currency pair, how can I find the exact futures symbol that matches the CFD I’m currently trading? This information will help me maintain my existing trading strategies while transitioning to the futures market.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide a list of popular CFDs and their corresponding futures symbols, or point me in the direction of a reliable resource where I can find this information. Any advice or insights from those who have made a similar transition would also be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
GBoy

Thank you @Gboy for your question about switching from CFDs to futures and finding the corresponding futures symbols. I’ll do my best to provide you with a comprehensive answer.

First, it’s important to understand that while CFDs and futures are both derivatives, they have some key differences. CFDs are contracts between you and a broker, while futures are standardized contracts traded on an exchange. Futures also have set expiration dates, whereas CFDs typically don’t.

When transitioning from CFDs to futures, you’ll need to consider factors such as contract sizes, margin requirements, and the availability of contracts for the specific assets you wish to trade. It’s worth noting that many futures contracts now have “micro” versions, which have smaller contract sizes and lower margin requirements, making them more accessible to individual traders.

To find the futures symbol that corresponds to a particular CFD, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify the underlying asset of the CFD (e.g., index, commodity, currency pair).
  2. Determine the exchange where the corresponding futures contract is traded (e.g., CME, CBOT, NYMEX, Eurex).
  3. Look up the contract specifications on the exchange’s website to find the exact futures symbol.

Here are some examples of popular CFDs and their corresponding futures symbols:

• CFD on the S&P 500 Index (US500) → E-mini S&P 500 Futures (ES) or Micro E-mini S&P 500 Futures (MES) on CME
  • CFD on the Dow Jones Industrial Average (US30) → E-mini Dow ($5) Futures (YM) or Micro E-mini Dow Futures (MYM) on CBOT
  • CFD on the DAX Index (GER30) → DAX Futures (FDAX) or Mini-DAX Futures (FDXM) on Eurex
  • CFD on the Euro Stoxx 50 Index (EU50) → Euro Stoxx 50 Futures (FESX) or Micro Euro Stoxx 50 Futures (FESM) on Eurex
  • CFD on Gold (XAUUSD) → Gold Futures (GC) or Micro Gold Futures (MGC) on COMEX
  • CFD on WTI Crude Oil (USOIL) → WTI Crude Oil Futures (CL) or Micro WTI Crude Oil Futures (MCL) on NYMEX
  • CFD on EUR/USD → Euro FX Futures (6E) or Micro Euro FX Futures (M6E) on CME

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and you should always verify the information with the specific exchange or your broker.

When making the switch from CFDs to futures, consider the following tips:

1. Familiarize yourself with the contract specifications, including contract sizes, tick values, and margin requirements.
  2. Understand the differences in trading hours and expiration dates on Futures.
  3. Adapt your trading strategies to account for the unique characteristics of futures contracts.
  4. Practice with a demo account or small positions to get comfortable with the new market before committing significant capital.
  5. Be aware of the differences in tax treatment and regulatory requirements between CFDs and futures in your jurisdiction.

I hope this information helps you in your transition from CFDs to futures. If you have any more specific questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. BTW, as a matter of disclosure, we do not offer CFDs, and US residents/citizens are not allowed to be solicited for such instruments worldwide.

Best,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

1 Like