Orders not getting filled

Why do some of my targets/stops not get triggered sometimes if I’m watching other markets even though they’ve been placed as I entered the trade?

As you can see here I’ve gotten stopped out after being in a trade for over 3 hours. It should of executed my Target orders. It didn’t.

To give more context:

I was trading MNQ, MES & M2K at the same time. I had MNQ & MES open on two chartbooks but the M2K charts weren’t open at the time. But I did place the Target/Stop loss order at the same time I placed the 2 contracts order.

Please help me understand how to make this work before I go live :slight_smile: .
Thanks for the community you’ve created here. I’ve found especially the videos and pictures very helpful so far :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Sam21,

There are numerous factors as to why your targets and stops might not be getting triggered as you intended. It is a bit hard to determine why this is happening based on the screenshot you provided.

I do not think the fact that you had your charts closed at the time was the cause of this issue.

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of your original order configuration? This might start to paint a clearer picture as to why this occurred! It could also have something to do with your “flag type”/Order duration. Was it a GTC Order? GTD? These can all play a factor in the role of order execution.

Feel free to provide us with a bit more information so we can help you determine the root cause of the issue you encountered.

Thanks for the question and providing us with a screenshot! The more info the better :grin:

Thanks,
Jake
Optimus Futures Support :optimus_logo_no_backroug:

1 Like

Targets were limit orders meanwhile the stop was a hard stop.

I forgot to mention that the stop didn’t get triggered after an hour when it went well below the hard stop the first time.

I also have a video commentary of when I was about to enter this trade if you’d like to see it.

Since I don’t know how to edit the videos yet and it’s only 2/12minutes of the whole video that’s relevant to this question. In the video I changed the targets to 4P and 15P but I know I changed it back to 5P and 10P as I got filled. (don’t have video to prove it though).

Thanks Jake for the support :smile:

1 Like

Hi @Sam21,

Thanks for following up with more information!

I am still investigating this for you, but at this time do not have a concrete answer. In the meantime, i’d like to provide you with this documentation from the Sierra Chart team: Trade Simulation - Sierra Chart

The guide linked above will provide you with an explanation of how the different order types are filled in Trade Simulation Mode which is what I see you were connected to at the time of this trade. I am under the impression that being in simulation mode had an effect as to how your orders were stopped out without our intention.

Unfortunately, I do not have the specific reasoning at the moment, but maybe this guide will help clear the picture for you until we do have an accurate response.

Thanks for your patience. We’ll follow up on this thread when we find an appropriate response!

Thanks,
Jake

2 Likes

Ah thanks @Mod-JakeM for the link!

The answer to my question can be found in that link, I’ll copy the answer HERE:

For a simulated order to be evaluated for a fill, the following needs to be true:

• Trade >> Trade Simulation Mode needs to be enabled.
  • The original chart the order was entered from needs to continue to be open while the order is in a working state (not with a Filled, Canceled, Error Status ).
  • The original chart the order was entered from needs to have Trade >> Show Orders and Position checked while the order is still working, for the order to be filled. Otherwise, the orders from the chart will not fill.
  • The original chart the order was entered from needs to have the Trade Account set to the same Trade Account that was selected when the order was originally entered.
  • The original chart the order was entered from needs to be set to the same Symbol as when the order was originally entered.

Thanks for the help, apparently it should be fine when going live :smile:

1 Like

Hey @Sam21,

I completely missed this point:

That makes perfect sense as to why you were stopped out! Thanks for noticing that and bringing it to our attention!

That being said, you definitely will not encounter that issue after going live. Once an order is placed, it will sit on the exchange until triggered depending on the order type.

Glad we were able to collaborate and solve this issue!

Thanks for your participation so far on the community,
Jake

2 Likes