Help Center Blog Open An Account

Pros and cons of using Sierra Chart own data feed

There are a number of different technology providers that provide real-time & historical data to trade the futures markets with Sierrachart. What would you say are the pros and cons of using Sierrachart’s own real-time & historical datafeed compared to the other available options?

In my opinion, the only motivation for a company to use its historical bid/ask data is because it has better ability to provide support and fix any data issues that may arise such as historical backfills. To that end, the advantage for the customer who utilizes Sierra Chart data is a potentially a better customer service and quick turn around time to resolving customer’s data issues.

I do not think that there is a negative per se to using the data feed that Sierra chart provides, but some users are using alternatives such as DTN IQ or rely on the history that the execution data feed provides (CQG, CTS or Rithmic in the case of the data feeds they provide).

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures Support

Thanks. I have had a good experience with Sierrachart’s datafeed. It may be worth adding it to the list of datafeeds that Optimus works with. Perhaps listing it as “Sierrachart (Barcharts)”.

Yes, that is a good idea. For the most part, on our data feeds page https://optimusfutures.com/Datafeeds.php should reflect only those data feeds that the trader can execute on. However, we should add a category of external data feeds that reflects these choices. Thank you for the suggestion.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures Support

Maybe say “Sierrachart (Barcharts) datafeed - execution independent”

I recommend Sierra’s datafeed. I would like them to have server side functionality that would integrate with client side orders so if we lose connection, an order is on the server to protect us from loss. Right now they have bracket orders on their server.